Sunday, December 23, 2012

Oreo Cupcakes

Year 2012 has been a very busy year for me, juggling between work and kids really burned me out, as you can see from the number of bakes dropping..hahhah.... But then, I will still bake at least 3 cakes a year, for my dearie, for my prince and my princess. 


Today I tried my hand at something I had been meaning to do for a while, Oreo cupcakes.  School is re-opening soon in another week time, this will probably my last bake of year 2012. 



whole Oreo at the bottom


with crushed Oreo mixed in the cake batter



It hadn't actually planned for it so I use sponge cake mix for the cake, they are super easy to make. 


What I need;

250g sponge cake mix
50g unsweetened cocoa powder
5 eggs
50g butter (melted)
50g water


How to do it;

- pre-heat oven at 180 degree.
- In a huge bowl, put sponge cake mix, cocoa powder, eggs and water together
- whisk at high speed for 10 mins, reduce to medium speed for 5 mins
- fold in the melted butter, mix well and put aside.
- place one oreo or crushed oreo at the bottom of the cupcake liner
- pour the cake batter into the cupcake liner till 80% full
- bake for 15 -20 mins until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- remove the cupcakes from the oven tray and cool completely before frosting them.


What I need for frosting;

250g room temp unsalted butter
200g - 250g icing sugar, sifted (*  I use only 150g)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
crushed oreos (depending on individual preference)
whole oreos for deco.


How to do it;

- using a mixer, beat butter and gradually add in the icing sugar till it is fully incorporated.
- add vanilla extract and mix well before stir in the crushed oreos.
- pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcake and top each with an oreos (can use chocokate too)


* I'm not a sweet tooth person so I have reduced the amount of icing sugar so the frosting may be a bit softer.  To make it easier to pipe, you can put the frosting into a pipping bag and place it in the fridge for 20 mins before using.


# store the cupcake in an airtight container in the fridge, can keep for 3-5 days.  Thaw for 5 mins in room temperature before serving. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment