I have made japanese cheesecake many times. The main differences between this cheesecake and a standard baked cheesecake is that the Japanese version is crustless, it uses less cream cheese, and that it has a whole lotta whipped egg whites for lightness. It is super, super fluffy! Below are some I have baked. :-)
250g cream cheese
100ml fresh milk
60g plain flour
20g corn flour
6 egg yolks
1 tbsp lemon juice
¼ tsp salt
6 egg whites
¼ tsp cream of tartar
140g fine granulated / caster sugar
- Whisk cream cheese, butter and milk in a bowl over a pot of water.
- Cool the mixture.
- Beat in egg yolks and lemon juice. Fold in flour and mix well.
- Whisk egg whites until soft peaks form. Whisk in cream of tartar and sugar.
- Fold in egg white into cheese mixture
- Pour into cake pan (do not grease pan) and bake in pre-heated oven (180 degrees) for five minutes and lower heat to 160 degrees.
- Bake for an hour. Remove from oven and invert cake pans onto a cooling rack.
- Leave to cool for 30 minutes before releasing cake from pan.